If you're like most people, you probably don't want spiders in your home. Spiders can be creepy and some of them can bite, so it's understandable that you'd want to keep them away from your loved ones. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to deter spiders from making your house or garage their home.
What Attracts Spiders To Your Home?
Like all other pests, spiders are attracted to your house because of three things:
- Food: Spiders are attracted to insects already living in your house, as they act as an easy food source.
- Water: Spiders like to live somewhere moist, often being attracted to any sort of leaking pipe or easily accessible water source.
- Shelter: Spiders seek dark, humid, undisturbed places to live, making areas such as your basement, garage, attic, or closet an ideal habitat.
If you have a spider problem, try to eliminate any potential food sources and make sure the areas of your home are well-ventilated and not too humid.
How To Keep Spiders Away
If you're tired of finding spiders lurking around your home, there are some techniques to help keep spiders outside. Common ways to keep spiders out of your home include:
Use Essential Oils
There are a few scents that spiders seem to dislike, including citrus, peppermint, and eucalyptus. You can use essential oils or products containing these fragrances to help deter spiders from coming into your home. Simply spraying some of the scents around doorways, windowsills, and other potential entry points can help keep them away.
As mentioned, spiders are attracted by other insects in your home. Setting up traps or working with a local exterminator and getting recurring pest treatments can keep your home pest-free and make your home and garage less attractive for spiders.
Clean Up Clutter
Spiders like to hide in dark, secluded, undisturbed areas, so keeping your home tidy and free of potential hiding spots can go a long way toward keeping them out. We also recommend cleaning regularly and removing any spider webs as soon as you notice them.
Seal Off Entry Points
There are a few things you can do to prevent spiders from getting into your home or garage in the first place.
- Keeping windows, doors, garage doors closed as much as possible or installing a screen.
- Sealing cracks and holes in the foundation, walls, and ceilings.
- Installing weather stripping on exterior doors, as well as your garage door.
- Caulking gaps around pipes and wires that enter your home.
- Clearing out leaves, grass clippings, piles of wood, or any other insect hideouts from your yard.
How To Get Rid of Spiders
If these insects are already inside your home and you are looking to kick them out, there are many methods you can try to do so. Some common ways to get rid of spiders include:
- Vacuuming them up.
- Spraying them with a vinegar and water mixture.
- Setting up spider traps.
- Buying spider repellent (though these should be applied carefully, especially around children and pets).
If DIY methods aren't cutting it, consider contacting a professional exterminator to get rid of your infestation. If you're located in Western Idaho and need an expert, contact Vertex Pest Control to learn more about our pest control treatments.